Self-hypnosis and Relaxation Steps July 25, 2007Posted by indianalternativemedicine in मन, Mind-body.
Self-Hypnosis is a naturally occurring state of mind which can be defined as a heightened state of focused concentration, (trance), with the willingness to follow instructions (suggestibility).
Self-hypnosis is a technique in which you focus yourself to attain desired goals or any belief by putting positive suggestions into your subconscious mind,through relaxation.It’s a state of mind in which your conscious mind is bypassed andcommunication begins with the subconscious mind.
Steps for trying out:-
- Go to a comfortable, private place and sit in any comfortable chair or couch. You may lie down on your bed if you wish.
- Close your eyes and try to rid your mind of any feelings of fear and anxiety. When you begin, you will find it difficult not to think. You may find that thoughts keep intruding. When this happens, don’t try to force the thoughts out. Observe them impartially, and then let them slip away.
- Recognize the tension in your body. Beginning with your toes, imagine the tension slowly falling away from your body and vanishing. Imagine it freeing each body part one at a time starting with your toes and working its way up your body. Visualize each part of your body becoming lighter and lighter as the tension is removed. relax your toes, then your feet. Continue with your calves, thighs, hips, stomach and so on, until you’ve relaxed each portion, including your face and head.
- Take slow, deep breaths. When you exhale, see the tension and negativity leaving in a dark cloud. As you inhale, see the air returning as a bright force filled with life and energy.
- Appreciate the fact that you are now extremely relaxed. Imagine you are at the top of a flight of 10 stairs. Picture every detail of this scene from the top to the bottom. Tell yourself that you are going to descend the stairs, counting each step down, starting at 10. Picture each number in your mind. Imagine that each number you count is further down and one step closer to the bottom. After each number, you will feel yourself drifting further and further into deep relaxation. As you take each step, imagine the feel of the step under your feet. Keep counting and stepping down until you reach the bottom. Once you reach the bottom imagine that you are happy and relaxed.
- At this point, you should begin to address the issue you’re concerned about. Speak in the present tense. Your subconcious mind does not understand negatives in speech – avoid using statements with negative connotation such as “I don’t want to be tired and irritable.” Instead, say, “I am calm and relaxed.” Examples of positive statements “I am strong and slender,” “I am successful and positive,” and, if you have pain, “My back feels wonderful.”
Repeat your statement(s) to yourself as many times as you wish.
- When you are satisfied, say to yourself that you will now count upwards to 10 from 0, and when you reach the number 10, you will slowly rise back to normal consciousness and remain calm and relaxed. Proceed to count upwards, again picturing the numbers in detail.
Once you have ascended, give yourself a few moments before opening your eyes, and take your time getting up.